Benitez's frustrations at Newcastle grow during quiet transfer period

Benitez's frustrations at Newcastle grow during quiet transfer period

Benitez's decision to hand the 24-year-old the captaincy 18 months ago has been vindicated with Lascelles proving an inspirational leader and articulate spokesman for the squad.

Shelvey has been speaking ahead of tomorrow's home game against his former club Swansea City.

Benitez spoke to Ashley - who returned from a holiday in the U.S. this week - last month.

"We have to think we will do something before January 31", said Benitez. The 57-year-old has been reluctant to talk about the transfer window in his recent press conferences, though that position could change. We need to strengthen certain positions.

Benitez said: "I have heard people talking about our players, but we do not have any offers".

"We still have some weeks to go and have to keep working and try to do our best".

Newcastle have been in discussions with Chelsea about a loan deal for winger Kenedy.

Newcastle United boss Rafael Benitez has claimed that the club are continuing to work on bringing in new players before the end of January.

Benitez admitted he will not allow anyone to leave St James' Park, unless they have a replacement ready to sign.

Progress on incoming signings remains painfully slow, with a loan deal for Chelsea midfielder Kenedy now the brightest prospect, and in the meantime the manager is concentrating only on Saturday's home clash with Swansea and the task of easing the club further clear of the drop zone.

"My belief is that we will do what we have to do".

Benitez, however, is adamant that midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, reportedly a target for West Ham United, will not be sold to a rival.

"And we're not planning to sell anyone who we consider can make a difference to the team".

Related Articles